Take a break from your studies and look at activities that will that help mold your character
and personality. Its very easy to drown yourself into the viscous cycle of school,
tuition, homework and then sleep. It’s important to look at extra curricular activities and
hobbies that will take your mind off studies as well as excite you.
Let’s look at some of the activities that one can take up while at high school;
Participating in a sport helps one maintain physical fitness as well as mental strength. Group sport activities like football, Cricket, Basketball, volleyball helps you;
- Develop Team spirit
- Leadership skills
- Stronger Relations
- Develops self esteem
- Improve communication skills
Individual sports like karate, swimming, tennis helps you in;
- Taking responsibility of one’s own action
- Time management
Schools usually have cultural clubs like music, dance, debate and drama. It’s a fun way to explore your creative side as well as identify yourself with your school mates .Cultural activities at school provide an opportunity for cultural enrichment and help talented students showcase their creative abilities. It’s possible to be part of these clubs even though you are not creatively involved as most of these clubs require persons with good organisational and interpersonal skills as well. There is always work to be done in the back stage, organise funds, arrange events etc.
VOLUNTEERING AT AN NGO
Various NGOs like CRY, Teach for India offer diverse volunteering opportunities. Volunteering for a social cause not only helps the betterment of society but also helps you become a better individual. Some of the benefits of volunteering;
- Reduce stress
- Helps in social interaction with diverse set of people
- Gain confidence
- Improve interpersonal skills
Volunteering helps you meet people who can give you guidance and help you identify areas of work /activities that you might really enjoy.
DEVELOPING A HOBBY
Select a hobby or an activity that appeals to you and try to spend at least 1 or 2 hours every week developing your hobby. Hobbies help shape ones personality and gives you selfconfidence. Some of the Hobbies that you can explore are;
- Art related hobbies: Baking, Drawing
- Nature Related hobbies: Gardening, Animal care
- Science Related hobbies: Astronomy, Meteorology
- Performance related hobbies:Singing, Dancing etc.
Taking up an activity outside academic life can give a student the right perspective on what drives him/her and help one pick up right skills required for work life.
Find out what career suits you
- Extra Curricular Activities: Take A Break From School
- Make a Difference: Volunteer for an NGO
- Science, Commerce or Arts? Should I Listen to my Child?
- What is the Right Age For Career Planning? Start Early
- Career Planning: Your Checklist In High School
- What's Your Learning Style?
- Find a Job That you Enjoy Why?
- Improving Your Communication Skills In English
- How can schools help in Career Planning
- When to Approach Your School Counsellor?
- Self-Questionnaire - The first step to guide your Child in Career Planning